My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://female-offenders.com/Safehouse/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Case Series - Cruelty by con artist

In the article below a woman cons people into believing she has cancer. Cases like this are not often ones people bring up when they talk about abuse or cruelty. When men and women con people in the manner that this person did the cruelty is often subtle.


District Judge Michael Gibbons told Erika Williams she must serve one year before she is eligible for parole. He gave her credit for 96 days in custody.“This is a really sad day,” Gibbons said. “I don’t like doing this but I have to protect everyone else.”She pleaded guilty to one count of obtaining money under false pretenses.

Williams claimed to have a fast-growing, virulent form of terminal cancer that laid waste to her body. In carrying out the ruse, she shaved her head, inserted tubes up her nose, and allowed acquaintances to drive her to phony doctors’ appointments.

Concerned friends responded to Williams with money, rides to radiation treatment, gifts, places to live, frequent flier miles, meals, and what she really craved — love and attention.


It can be easy to just assume that this was done because the person was seeking attention, approval, or love. This case shows how it was much more than that. Some of the following statements show the cruelty involved:


As a cancer survivor, Gray said she would attest that it’s more difficult to watch her loved ones’ fear about her prognosis than it was to undergo treatment. Williams also said Gray’s oncologist was “a quack,” a completely unfounded statement. “You have to have complete trust in your doctor. Because of her, I was doubting him, wondering if his expertise in the field was enough to save my life,” Gray said.

Heather Alvey who works in an oncology unit called Williams “a predator without remorse who is innately evil.”

“She told a grieving mother she didn’t do enough to save her child. She asked me to speak at her own funeral,” Alvey said. “When I found out (about the lies), I didn’t cry. She wasn’t worth another tear. She is not sorry, she lives without regret. Her excuses are as pathetic as she is.”


And these following statements by the offender are interesting:


“I probably won’t get any psychological help in prison,” she said. “I do admit freely what I have done is horrible. I have a huge problem and I’ve had it for the majority of my life. I don’t want to be called a predator. My heart really is good.

“When you are a pathological liar, there’s not much counseling out there. I truly desire to get better, to make amends. I pray for your mercy and help to get the help I need,” she said. - Read the entire article here

No comments: