My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://female-offenders.com/Safehouse/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Female Pedophiles and abduction?

I wanted to post this story because of some comments I have heard on various shows about the recent Sandra Cantu case. I have yet to see a show or news story that has accurately discussed the numbers when it comes to female offenders and sexual abuse of children. Instead all to often I see something along the lines of it being said that it is rare for a woman to abduct and murder a child. While that may be true but things change if you drop the word "abduct".

Let us look at some statistics briefly:

One in six adult men reported being sexually molested as children, and -- in a surprise finding -- nearly 40 percent of the perpetrators were female, a new study found. (Source Link)

According to the Department of Health and Human Services Administration on Children, Youth and Families, 62.3% of child abuse perpetrators and 62.8% of child homicide perpetrators are women. And the lower the child's age, the more likely it is that his/her abuser/killer is female.

In the documentary When Girls Do It they mentioned that out of 1,000 people who disclosed being sexually abused by a woman only 4 ever officially reported it. That is, unless my math is off, less than 1/2 a percent. And those that do report it are often not believed.

And throughout this blog you can find more references/links/data as well.

Now lets look at this story and consider what would have happened if she had been successful at the suicide pact she had with her abducted victim. And notice the victims words that were read in court:


Cara L. Dickey’s teenage rape victim didn’t appear in court Wednesday, but his pain and anger filled the courtroom as his two-page statement was read to the judge.

On a day when tears were shed on both sides of the courtroom and in the spectator section, State Supreme Court Justice John L. Michalski sentenced Dickey to four years in prison on her guilty plea to two statutory rape charges.

Before the sentencing, prosecutor Kristin A. St. Mary read the letter from the boy, now 15, whom Dickey has admitted raping twice.

“This lady is sick and selfish. She really had me not even caring about anyone but her,” the boy wrote, admitting that he was obsessed with her. “She was preying on me to manipulate my mind, to then have sex with me.”

The boy stated that he has been scarred for life.

“I can see and feel what was taken [from me] and what I will never get back,” he added.

Authorities have said that Dickey, the boy’s former eighth-grade teacher at South Buffalo Charter School, picked him up June 16 in South Buffalo, imprisoned him for about 21 hours and attempted to carry out a suicide pact with him by supplying him with alcohol and over-the-counter drugs.

Then last summer, after being ordered by a judge not to contact the boy, Dickey met with him numerous times, leading to the two second-degree rape charges to which she pleaded guilty in March.

“Referring to the day she and I attempted to take our lives, I’m still in shock and awe,” the boy stated in the letter. “Life has too much to offer, and young people have too much to offer the world today to just take our own lives. Or, in my case, being persuaded that taking my life would be the right thing to do.

“She made me believe that I would be nothing without her, and she was going to kill herself no matter what, because she knew she was going to jail. This is how badly she manipulated my mind.”

I also wanted to comment on something that she said and that is:

“Your honor, I take full responsibility for my actions. They were my own,” she told Michalski. “But my actions throughout that time do not define my character. I am a good person who made a bad mistake, and I’m a good mother, a great mother.” - Read the entire article here

A mistake? When something like this happens it goes way beyond a "mistake". And seeing as she is convicted of doing this AFTER she had been caught, charged and ordered by a judge to stay away from the victim it pretty much shows that this was far from a mistake.

I would think she also got a very light sentence considering everything that was involved here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Blog site. This is a vital issue and the denial about female offenders needs to be penetrated. Too many victims of female offender child sexual abuse are suffering in silence because society does not want to hear about women -especially mothers- who molest and rape children. Society MUST hear about it, and acknowledge it. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

It's about time ! I was molested as a child by a woman then in later years abused in various forms by women some actions resulting in jail time for crimes I didn't commit. First off they are human and every bit as much a shit disturber as any man could be. I have found they're games to be far more hurtfull and damaging than any man could ever have done to me. The sooner good people pick up on this and take action the better. It pains me to think that the way I was raised and the abuse happens still to innosent children and people all over the world to this day.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate these posts and your courage to inform a society that's trapped by its own prejudice about men and women. How can we expect women with abusive urges or habits to face their problem and seek help if we don't even acknowledge their existence? We've made it impossible for the female abuser to reach out for help, just as we make it hard for their male victims to do the same.

Now I can see how we can affect change through information and education: People might apply the same attitude towards, for example, female babysitters, as they would towards males, in terms of developing trust slowly and trusting their instincts. And at the same time, perhaps if people knew that anybody could turn into abusers, regardless of their demographics, at any time in their lives, then they might watch for warning signs and prevent themselves from becoming abusive.