I wanted to do a small follow up on something I wrote in the post People see what they want to see Part I .
In that post I said this:
People often see what they want to see or expect to see. Any good stage magician or con man can attest to this as a fact of human nature.
And I want to present a short video that helps to demonstrate what I mean.
Hopefully that simple demonstration will get you thinking about how this plays out in abusive situations. For example we expect to see our "best friend" in a certain way and so we do. Even when we are confronted with knowledge to the contrary we often resist and still only see what we expect to see OR it changes into seeing what we want to see. You can watch this play out perfectly with Clergy Sexual Abuse cases.
This also is something I urge people to consider when they make statements like "I never saw anything like that" or other comments along that line. Be honest now. How many did you see? Do you honestly think other people would believe you if you said it happened but they did not see a thing? And guess what, you both would be telling the truth as you knew it. Don't think this doesn't play out in abuse cases.
How many things do we miss when our focus/attention is on just one thing?
People see what they expect to see
Monday, September 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment